Melody


If you are given a chance to turn back the time, what would you do? In God's Gift - 14 Days, it is a harrowing experience for mother Kim Soo-hyun (starring Lee Bo-young) as well as a former cop turned private investigator, Ki Dong-chan (starring Jo Seung-woo), as both of them have to race against time in the allotted 14 days to unveil a mystery involving their loved ones.

Kim Soo-hyun's young daughter Han Saet-byul was kidnapped and murdered, and Soo-hyun is determined to expose the killer and save her daughter before she dies all over again. As for Ki Dong-chan, he has to prove the innocence of his mentally challenged older brother who is falsely accused of murdering Dong-chan's ex-girlfriend. Now Soo-hyun and Dong-chan do not know each other, but fate throws into their ways and they have to trust each other and work together to solve the mystery before they have to face the cruel fate of losing their loved ones once again. 

If you ask me, I love the combination of a time travel and a mystery theme. I would love to see the victims are given another chance to unveil the truth and even stop the crime from happening, and that the murderers are caught and punished should they attempted and succeeded in escaping the law in the first place. 

I liked the plot of God's Gift - 14 Days. It especially touched my heart because of the plot involving a young child, and to see the mother has gone through various hardships to search and save her daughter. I also find it heart-wrenching to see two brothers for taking the blame wrongfully all these years (especially for Dong-chan because he has assumed his older brother had committed a murder and was even testified as a witness, thus leading to the hanging of his older brother). 

Although I find the plot intense and riveting, and full of twists and turns, however I wasn't satisfied with the ending. You see, it was left with an open ending and you have to use your imagination to judge the fate of Dong-chan. I liked the characterisation of Dong-chan; he is righteous and full of charge - he is not a person who would be intimidated by death. However, the ending is totally anticlimactic. It lacks clarity and instead leave the viewers with more questions instead of answers. Despite this flaw, I have to say the performance by Lee Bo-young and Jo Seung-woo is marvellous. As an individual or as a duo, the characterisations they have portrayed have convinced the viewers about the hardship and dilemma a mother and a frustrating, desperate man have to face under certain circumstances. 

Before ending this post, I would like to ask you this question: Do you believe in fate? I do. But can we change fate? I don't know, but I think our fate wouldn't be that bad if we harbour good thoughts and live truthfully. 
6 Responses
  1. The Bookworm Says:

    God's Gift - 14 Days sounds heart wrenching! I don't like open endings, but sometimes it's left to the imagination.
    Yes, I believe in fate. I think we can change it to a certain extent, we are all still destined to do certain things.


  2. jenclair Says:

    I was all set to add this one to my que until I got the the end of your review. After agonizing for hours with characters, I at least want a conclusion.

    I mostly believe in free will, but some aspects of our fate are determined by our genes.


  3. Melody Says:

    I'm fine with open endings but I think this one needs a neat ending, even if it's not a happy ending. I was disappointed.


  4. Melody Says:

    This was really a letdown. I thought the plot and everything was good, until I got to the ending. I think I'd forgive the flaw given there's a sequel, ha.


  5. It's too bad this one didn't have a better ending as it sounded like a good one from the description.

    I believe as Jenclair does in terms of believing in Free Will, although I do think that sometimes genetics and circumstance play a part in our fate.


  6. Melody Says:

    Melody5:49 PM
    Yes, you can tell I was disappointed but oh well...

    I agree that genetics and circumstances do play a part, but there're also times that we can't do or change anything but to let God decide our fate.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.