Melody

For those readers who'd watched this drama, please pardon me for posting this at this time. This most watched K-drama was aired last December and had many viewers addicted to it that fans around the world would sweep every products off the shelves that are endorsed by the two leading characters. I watched this drama two months back but didn't get around to reviewing it until now. I know it'd be an outdated review, but I thought I'd offer some of my perspective especially to readers who have yet to watch it.
Basically, this is a romantic comedy between an alien and a human being. I have to admit I'm not a sci-fi fan, not as a reader or a viewer, but I'd heard and read so many reviews about this drama that it had me curious. 
Anyway, this fantasy romance revolves around an alien, Do Min-joon (starring Kim Soo Hyun), who has landed on Earth 400 years ago during the Joseon Dynasty. During his days on Earth, he helped a young girl from plunging to her death. As he continued to help the girl escape from her in-laws, he missed his chance of returning to his planet. Thus, he is stranded on Earth for the next four centuries and he has to wait for the time to arrive before he could return back to his planet. 
During this period, he has had many identities, after all his appearance never change and neither does he age like an ordinary human. Fortunately, he has a friend in an elderly lawyer, whom he had saved many years ago. He is the only human who had known about his true identity. As of present, Min-joon is a college professor and lives in a luxurious apartment, thanks to his savings all the years when he is on Earth. 
Life is peaceful, and Do Min-joo is waiting for the day to return to his planet when he meets the nation superstar, Cheon Song-yi (starring Jun Ji Hyun). She is his new neighbour but Min-joon didn't know of her identity. Song-yi, on the other end, thinks he is her biggest fan after they had stepped off from the lift together and thinks he is stalking her. They had several comical exchanges initially, and slowly that path leads to a hot romance thereafter. 
My thoughts? I find it highly entertaining and amusing. I've to confess I was quite irritated by Song-yi initially, who seems to be whining most of the times. However, her characteristic changes as the show progresses and her role has became more sympathetic. 
Min-joon, on the other hand, is a quiet and charismatic man (ahem, alien). I've to say most of my attention was focused on him; after all he is young and good-looking, and he has special powers to boot (though not my type in reality). 
Anyways, it is not all about romance (which would be boring). It has a tinge of a thriller though it is not the kind that would make you bite your nails or hold your breath (maybe a little), but at least it brings a little depth to the story and convince the viewers why it is crucial for Min-joon to act as protector to Song-yi. 
I didn't let myself think too much while watching this drama, simply because the characters are eye candies to boot, and it is a fantasy after all. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Most importantly, what did I find about the ending? Not perfect but it works. And to me, that fits me well. 
4 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    I liked it well enough. Like you, I found Song-yi irritating initially. Kdrama is full of eye candy; not that I'm complaining!


  2. I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds good. The actors look so young! Or is it that I am so old now? LOL


  3. Melody Says:

    Glad we share the same sentiment!


  4. Melody Says:

    I hope you enjoy it if you do watch it.
    Kdramas have too many young and good-looking actors; they definitely make the dramas more appealing, lol.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.