Melody


Cast: Song Seung-Heon, Lim Ji-Yeon
Director: Kim Dae-Woo
Genre: Erotic Romance
Language: Korean (English/Chinese subtitles)
(R21) 



I've to admit it is Song Seung-Heon who attracted me to this movie. After all I'd watched several Korean dramas starring him and most of his roles are unforgettable. Well it didn't hurt that he has a fit body and a good-looking face too. 

Onto the topic, Obsessed is a story of a decorated war hero, Colonel Kim Jin-pyong, who falls in love with a young woman and would risk everything for love, in which ended up in tragedy eventually.

Colonel Kim seems to have everything; from his prestigious rank right to having a beautiful wife, but apparently he isn't that at bliss considering he suffers from post-traumatic disorder after the Vietnam War and his affection towards his ambitious wife has faded.

On an occasion he happens to meet Ga-heun, a wife of his subordinate. Ga-heun is unlike any other officers wives, and Colonel Kim is quickly attracted to her. However, it is through one life-threatening incident that allows Colonel Kim to save Ga-heun, thus creating a chance for them to get to know more about each other. Since both of them are married, their exchanges are usually discreet. And in no time they are so smitten (obsessed?) with each other that they have a forbidden affair. 

Before meeting Colonel Kim, Ga-heun's marriage is no bliss either as her relationship with her husband feels more like a brother and sister rather than lovers. After all, she was adopted by his family when she was younger after she had lost her family. Colonel Kim is the first man whom she has fallen in love with, but despite the fact that she loves him she felt she couldn't abandon everything and left with him. Colonel Kim, on the other hand, confessed that he couldn't live without her. 

What happened next wasn't something I had expected, and all I can say is regret, and more regret. With the attraction and love they had for each other, I felt it a regret that they didn't meet earlier; and then I also felt regret that what happened to the secondary characters weren't explained clearly (i.e. Colonel Kim's wife and Ga-heun's husband). Overall the film was shot quite beautifully (the lovemaking scenes are tastefully done too). And finally, the only thing that left me unsatisfied is the ending; it left me feeling hollow because of Ga-heun's choice. For a quiet and demure woman, she seems firm in some aspect and not caring what other women thought of her. 

Colonel Kim, on the other hand, seems weak as compared to Ga-heun when it comes to love, but then that is the attractive side of him. A devoted man is what most women want in a relationship isn't it? But then again from another angle, love and devotion can also consume and destroy a person. . . And I think, in my opinion, is the core of this story. 

All in all, I enjoyed the movie. If only it has a happier ending. . . 
11 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    Oh, dear. I love a happy ending--unfortunately, a lot of Korean drama goes for something sadder. Some leave me sad for days. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though, even if it wasn't a happy ending.


  2. The Bookworm Says:

    Sounds like an emotional one. I actually like sad endings sometimes.


  3. Unknown Says:

    This sounds like a good drama -- I haven't seen many Korean films. I am a sucker for a happy ending, but sometimes I like a darker conclusion, too. ;-)


  4. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I found myself asking questions after the film ended. But then I think that's the purpose of it, of having a sad ending and leave you thinking. I hope you'll watch it if you get the chance. I'm curious of what you'll think of it. ;)


  5. Melody Says:

    Naida - It's a film that evokes lots of emotion. I don't mind sad endings but for this case I was hoping that the couple would get together. Sigh.


  6. Melody Says:

    Irene - I think the director and the cast had all done a great job. The story was good too, but I just find it sad that the ending would end it that way, especially if it involves a couple who are so in love with each other.


  7. I tend to have trouble with stories like this, where the two lovebirds are married to other people. Sometimes I can get past it, depending on the circumstances, but it isn't often.


  8. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I agree with you, Wendy! Whenever I read of such circumstances, I'd ask myself if the characters have a good reason of doing so. Perhaps they've a valid reason, but still I find it sad to see them distance away from each other instead of making their marriage works well, again.


  9. . Says:

    Thanks for sharing about this film I like very much. I think it is the War which destroyed the life of Col. Kim. Whereas Song SeungHeon mentions Gaheun is Kim's first Love, she is simply manipulated by her evil husband as a housekeeper. Very SAD !!


  10. Melody Says:

    Thanks for your reply. Overall I think this story and the couple's fate to be sad. They should've a happier life considering how in love they're with each other. Alas, like in reality, we can't expect everything to be happy and perfect.


  11. Irena Says:

    The film was shot with great taste and I enjoyed it immensely. He was the one that loved too much, hence the title. He got divorced, she didn't. He left for dangerous territories, she stayed in her castle. The explanation given by her was poignant: I don't love you enough.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.