Melody

ISBN-13: 9781594746857
Publisher: Quirk Publishing
Publication Date: 15 July 2014
Format: Paperback, 320 pgs
Source: Purchased


"This mystery, along with my sister's, will remain unsolved forever. It is the right place, the police station in Rotary, Ohio, it's the right place but now it's the wrong time, we're too late, we didn't get here in time to stop this girl from being attacked and we didn't get here in time to stop my sister from slipping down through the earth and away. My fault. All my fault." Pg 66.

Author Ben H. Winters really painted a bleak picture in his final installment of The Last Policeman trilogy. If I thought the last two installments are gloomy, then I couldn't think of what to say about this last book. Despair, desperation, doom... All the letter D words are enough to send you fidgeting as you race this book alongside with protagonist Detective Henry Palace, hoping he would be able to find his younger sister, Nico, and hoping harder that they would somehow get the asteroid crisis avertable. 

But that's not all. Remorse and melancholy run deep in this book too, as Detective Palace thinks about the past of him and Nico, their parents, his colleagues, and yes even Naomi, a woman he loved even if the time they were together is short. He misses all of them. If only time could turn back and there's no calamity. 

There's definitely a lot about humanity issues here. The good guys, the bad guys, and those in between... no matter which role they fit in it's all about choices, and survival. And hope is a powerful motivation and there's always a fine line between right and wrong. 

Detective Palace is a fine hero in my opinion. Despite everything he still demands answers in the end; he may be stubborn in some ways but he's doing what he feels is right. This last installment is absolutely the best among the trilogy. So emotionally packed and so much intensity in all sense. A very extraordinary mystery series I would say, and the stories will remain in my mind for a long while. 


Related links:
Countdown City (Book 2)

12 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    I avoided the first in this series because it soundws so gloomy, but your reviews have continued to pique my interest. Maybe because of all of the things going on in the world--ISIS and ISIL, global warming, and the general mayhem and random violence that makes the news each day, I'm a little leery of a doomsday series. Yet your comments about doing what is right until the end appeals.


  2. Unknown Says:

    Hooray! I'm so glad this trilogy holds up right 'til the end.


  3. I really liked this one too, Melody. All the books really. My heart ached for Hank Palace and I wanted so much for him to find the answers he was looking for throughout.


  4. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I totally get what you mean. Books with such topics are always difficult to read, but at times some of their premise are compelling and make us think while reading. And I think this trilogy is one of them.


  5. Melody Says:

    Irene - It definitely is! And I'm glad to read it!!


  6. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I was with you about Hank Palace. I found myself rooting for him from the beginning till the end; hoping he'd get all the answers he wanted, especially his sister.


  7. Iliana Says:

    Melody I'm so glad to hear you've enjoyed this series. I skimmed a little bit on your review just because I'm actually getting ready to pick up The Last Policeman in the next few days. My reading group is discussing it this month - can't wait!


  8. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I can't wait to hear what you and your reading group will think of The Last Policeman.


  9. Kay Says:

    I just read Ileana's post on her blog about picking up THE LAST POLICEMAN for discussion with her book club. My mystery group is also reading it for March. Looking forward to it. And it looks like I'll need to complete the trilogy. :-)


  10. The Bookworm Says:

    This definitely sounds like a good mystery series!


  11. Melody Says:

    Kay - I hope you'll enjoy reading this trilogy! It definitely makes a good book club discussions. :)


  12. Melody Says:

    Naida - It is, Naida! One of my favourite series! :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.