Melody


ISBN-13: 9780594638278
Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)
Publication Date: 2 July 2013
Format: Paperback, 448 pgs
Source: Library




Set in war-torn Yugoslavia, military intelligence officer Captain Gregor Reinhardt is called upon to investigate a case involving a death of a beautiful young woman and a German officer. They have been brutally murdered and Major Freilinger, Captain Reinhardt's superior, thinks he's the best person to assist the Sarajevo police, Inspector Andro Padelin. After all, Reinhardt has nearly twenty years as a detective in the Berlin Kriminalpolizei. Homicide and organised crime is nothing new to him. Then again, Reinhardt is also haunted by his wartime actions and the mistakes he's made off the battlefield. 

Back to the case, the Croat wants to find the killer of Marija Vukić, the dead woman who used to be a filmmaker and a journalist. Lieutenant Hendel, the other dead intelligence officer, is the reason why Major Freilinger is adamant to get one of his own men to look into this case. What are the chances that the two deaths are connected and why? As Reinhardt goes around asking questions, he found out that not many people he enquired is interested in Hendel's death but more interested in Marija and her social life with many senior officers. It seems she had the likes of them and her behaviours might have sparked some anger from officers who are younger and junior. But is jealousy and hatred really the reasons? And why Reinhardt has the impression that the Croatian and even Padelin have something to hide? Even Major Freilinger has seemed to warn him not to inquire much further with the senior officers, or the Waffen SS without an evidence. Something's real fishy but what? 

The Man from Berlin is the first of a series introducing Captain Gregor Reinhardt. Set amidst the chaos of WWII, the book is filled with history, military politics and of course, the mystery. Reinhardt is an interesting character; and despite the war scars he's carrying he remains his composure and carry out his duties diligently. It must be these traits that also leads his life into danger and jeopardy, as he wades his way through the political and military minefields. It is also inevitable that personal agendas are involved, given his rank and his past moments during the war. While I wasn't very much interested in ranks and war political, I find these didn't really bother me as I raced through the story due to Reinhardt's determination and efficiency in carrying out his job. I rooted for him and hoped he would crack the case. And what did I think of this book? I thought it was an amazing first novel featuring Captain Gregor Reinhardt. If you are into history, politics and mystery, then this book is for you. 
11 Responses
  1. Kay Says:

    I don't think I've heard of this one before. Interesting. The politics are not usually my favorite, but you make it sound very appealing.


  2. jenclair Says:

    This sounds right up my alley! Thanks, Melody!


  3. This does sound interesting, Melody. I haven't heard of this one. I can take military politics if its not too dry. The time period though is enough to tempt me.


  4. Melody Says:

    Kay - I'm glad the mystery element took away my attention from the politics, otherwise I'd be bored to death, LOL.


  5. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I hope you'll enjoy it if you do read it, Jenclair.


  6. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I was intrigued with the mystery as well as the time period too. Plus, Captain Reinhardt was an interesting character to read.


  7. The Bookworm Says:

    I like the setting Mel, my husband is from the former Yugoslavia. The Man from Berlin sounds like a good start to a series. I am not too much into politics, but if the characters and rest of the storyline intrigue me, it works well.
    Nice review!


  8. Melody Says:

    Naida - Thanks, Naida! I'm kinda drawn to books with war settings, though it always make a difficult read especially if they're based on true events. I was glad this book intrigued me with the characterisations and the mystery element.


  9. Iliana Says:

    I tend not to read a lot of political intrigue/war type novels but this is a mystery and you know I love those! Great review, Melody!


  10. Melody Says:

    Iliana - Thanks, Iliana! I hope you'll enjoy it if you do read it. :)


  11. Unknown Says:

    Great information. Thanks for providing us such a useful information. Keep up the good work and continue providing us more quality information from time to time. Men Corner


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.