Melody

Starring: Song Joong-ki, Song Hye-kyo, Kim Ji-won, Jin Goo, Kang Shin-il, Onew
Written by: Kim Eun-sook, Kim Won-seok


Synopsis from DramaWiki:

This story tells of doctors stationed in the fictional war zone of Urk, and follows the love story that develops between a surgeon, Dr Kang Mo Yeon (starring Song Hye-kyo) and a special forces officer, Captain Yoo Shi Jin (starring Song Joong-ki), both elite in their respective fields. The story will track both their personal and professional struggles while exploring issues about the value of life.



Is Descendants of the Sun really over? The finale of the drama was aired last night and here I was still in denial. I am sure many fans of DOTS will share the same sentiments as me. Unlike the other Korean drama series, DOTS was pre-produced so it is unlikely the producers would prolong this popular series with a few more episodes but hey, I understood that there would be a 3 special episodes next due to the popularity of the drama so I am looking forward to that. 

So, my thoughts on DOTS? I loved, loved, loved this drama series so much that on few occasions I had to search the raw clips without any subtitles on the same night it was aired because I just wanted to know what happened. And then the following day I would watch it again with English subtitles (not every episode, though, as there were some nights I couldn't find any raw clips and had to endure the wait). 

And so, what made DOTS so addictive? The premise, the cast and not to mention a few beautiful scenes shot at Zakynthos Island, Greece. Plus, it was an action thriller with lots of alpha males in military gear and yes, there is romance in it, too. For the romantics, there are enough unforgettable and romantic moments as well as swoon-worthy dialogues (quoted a few below) that had had me sigh, and sigh some more. 

(Zakynthos Island, Greece)

But most of all, I think it is Song Joong-ki and Song Hye-kyo who have brought their roles to life; thus leading us into wondering if their romance in the drama is real in reality as well. I had anticipated this drama since knowing that Song Joong-ki would be starring in it, after all this drama marked his comeback after his discharge from the military service last year. The role of Captain Yoo fits him perfectly especially after his military completion and I think what makes his role unforgettable is aside from his macho-ism, it is his devotion and his protectiveness towards Dr Kang that has won not only her heart but many female viewers' as well. And Song Hye-kyo is as beautiful as before; I remember seeing her on Autumn in My Heart (2000) and that story simply blown me away. In the past, she often portrayed as a vulnerable woman but in DOTS she played a surgeon who took full pride in her job and wouldn't succumb to bribery and political pressures and I like that trait in a female character. However, she also shows us her cutesy side whenever Captain Yoo teases or making fun of her. 


And then, there is our secondary characters, Sergeant Major Seo Dae Young (starring Jin Goo) and First Lieutenant Yoon Myung Ju (starring Kim Ji-won), who seemed to have an on-off relationship and their love is further complicated by the disapproval of Myun''s father, who held a high rank in the military force. Like the lead characters, I enjoyed watching this couple as well. 

(First Lieutenant Yoon Myung Ju and Sergeant Major Seo Dae Young)

Finally, I think what attributed to this drama is these elements in it - humanity, patriotism and friendship that has no boundaries when it comes to racial and countries. I would ramble on like a fangirl would do but I won't so I shall leave you a few interesting links to read herehere and here


A few notable dialogues:

  • “Don’t worry. Protecting beauties, elders, and children is my rule.” ~ Captain Yoo
  • “The doctor will save her patient and I will protect what I have to (protect)” ~ Captain Yoo
  • Captain Yoo: “Doctors don’t have boyfriends because they’re too busy.”
    Dr Kang Mo Yeon: “Soldiers don’t have girlfriends because it’s too hard (too much work).” 
  • “About that kiss... should I apologize or should I confess my love?” Captain Yoo
  • “If I had known I would die like this, I should honestly confessed my feeling – I was kissed by an awesome man and my heart was fluttering the whole time.” ~ Dr Kang Mo Yeon
  • “I want our relationship to be a melodrama but it turns into a blockbusters.” ~ Captain Yoo
  • Captain Yoo: "What’s your blood type?"
    Dr Kang Mo Yeon: "Your ideal type. A beauty? A doll? The type that would get me locked up in your heart?” 

(All pictures credit to Google Images)

4 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    I've added it to my list. When I wrote you (in the mail), I wasn't watching anything, but now I'm watching Moorim School and have Descendants on my list. :)


  2. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Gotta check out Moorim School. I hope you'll enjoy DOTS as much as I did! :-)


  3. I will have to add this to my watch list. It sounds wonderful, Melody.


  4. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I think you might enjoy it, Wendy. I think I've posted the link of this drama on my FB timeline. Let me know if you can't locate it.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.