Melody

Unlike the title suggests, Cunning Single Lady isn't about the heroine who is out to seduce men but is more of a story about romance, friendship, and rekindled relationship between a husband and wife. 

Ae-Ra (starring Lee Min-Jung), our heroine, works in a family restaurant where she meets university student, Jung-Woo (Joo Sang-Wook). They fell in love and eventually got married. However, Ae-Ra isn't pleased that Jung-Woo quit his job to start his own business. She fought with Jung-Woo over this issue for countless times until she decided for a divorce. 

After they have separated, Ae-Ra struggles with her life while Jung-Woo eventually becomes a successful IT entrepreneur. They met again in his company in which Ae-Ra works as an administrative intern in which she hopes to gain back his recognition and sees her as a different person but Jung-Woo isn't fazed by her until a fellow intern begins to show interest in Ae-Ra. 

Gook Seung Hyun (starring Seo Kang Joon) may be eight years Ae-Ra junior but he is attracted by her direct approach in life and work itself. No one knows he is also younger brother of the IT firm's director, Gook Yeo Jin (starring Kim Kyu Ri). Yeo Jin is traumatised by an accident which caused the death of her fiancé but she begins to find hope in life after knowing Jung-Woo.


(Seo Kang Joon as Gook Seung Hyun)


I didn't expect much from this drama initially; truth be told the title doesn't really sound appealing, right? Honestly, I was intrigued by this drama due to actor, Seo Kang Joon, who acted in The Cheese in the Trap and well, let's say his role there caught my attention. Like Cheese in the Trap, Seung Hyun's love for a woman is one-sided and once again I couldn't help but to feel sorry for him (No, this isn't a spoiler for Cheese in the Trap.) 

I liked how this drama focus on the difficulties between a couple (especially married couple) and what it takes to overcome obstacles through mutual respect, understanding and lots and lots of communications. Jung-Woo may feel jealous of Seung Hyun's attraction for Ae-Ra but ultimately it is his own heart that portrays his true self towards Ae-Ra. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this drama towards the end; my heart was torn between Jung-Woo and Seung Hyun as although I wanted the couple to rekindle their relationship, I also want Seung Hyun to have his love reciprocated. Ultimately, what most matters is I enjoyed this drama and I found myself searching for more dramas starring Seo Kang Joon. I will be watching Splendid Politics (aka Hwajung) next and this time around it is a historical drama set during the Joseon Dynasty period, with a rage of political battles and of course, romance.



(Pic Image credit to Pixabay)

Last week was my 10th year blogiversary and once again, I was amazed how fast time has flown by and that I am still around in this blogging community (there was a time I stopped blogging for a year and I thought it was the end of it.) Like many fellow bookbloggers, my reason for this blog is to share my love for books and also that through this exchange, we get to share our views of the books we read and most of all, to diversify our reading not only in genres but in other cultures, too. 

To my bookblogging friends and regular readers, thank you so much for following my blog all these years! And to readers who are new to this blog, a Big welcome to you and I hope you will enjoy reading my blog. 

I shall end this post with a few great quotes about books and reading:

Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. ~ Vera Nazarian 
I think of life as a good book. The further you get into it, the more it begins to make sense. ~ Harold Kushner
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. ~ Haruki Murakami 
There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all. ~ Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis 
A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it. ~ Edward P. Morgan 
2 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    Happy Blogiversary, Melody! I love the quotes you included at the end of your post.

    I liked Cunning Single Lady, too. :) I watched over a year ago, maybe two years ago. And I'm watching The Cheese in the Trap, now!


  2. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Thank you, Jenclair! I almost forgotten about the blogiversary until I checked the month.

    I hope you're enjoying Cheese in the Trap! :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.