Melody

ISBN-13: 9780718177010
Publisher: Penguin Random House
Publication Date: September 2015

Format: Trade Paperback, 416 pgs
Source: Purchased




* Some spoilers for Me Before You *

I am sure many of you have read some books and wonder what happens to the protagonists long after the books are finished, especially if their lives took a turn and we want to know how they are getting on with their new life. After You is such a book which had me so excited when I knew the author would be writing a sequel to Me Before You. I loved that book so much; it was romance and an inspiration all in one lovely package. I wept over the ending and though it was a sad one it had made Louisa Clark a different person; someone who thinks life differently after meeting Will Traynor. 

And as much as Louisa is living to adapt her new life without Will, she still misses him terribly. Her job at an airport bar is miserable, and she still doesn't feel at home with the flat she's owned for a year. Her family members think it is a good idea for her to enrol in a grief counselling group and though she attends the sessions she feels she is there to listen to others' experiences, since she still finds it hard to speak of Will. 

She is still thinking about her stagnant life when a rooftop accident turns her world upside down and lead her to Sam Fielding. Sam is a knight in shining armour, considering he is a paramedic and he had held her hand throughout their drive to the hospital. 

But despite Louisa finds Sam likeable, she is unsure about everything. And then, there is that guilty feeling about not loving Will more if she thinks of someone else. But that is not all, she somewhat feels responsible for sixteen-year-old Lily; a girl who has stumbled into her life drunk one day and reminds her so much of herself. While it seems Sam and Lily have helped changed her life into something more meaningful and exciting, Louisa still ponders about Will and her promise in living. But moving on involves risks and she isn't sure if she is brave enough to embrace everything, again. 

After You, like Me Before You, is an emotional and thought-provoking read but they are so much different from each other. While Me Before You allows one to think of the meaning of life, After You questions readers if they are willing to take risks and move on. Once again, the author has captured Louisa's voice perfectly and I could feel her loneliness, her misery, her struggles and of course, the happy moments she has had with Sam and Lily. I just couldn't help but to think things after closing the book. I felt for Louisa; the struggles and the dilemma she was facing as well as the decision she has made towards the end. It was a great book for a sequel and most of all, it had satisfied my curiosity about Louisa's life after what happened before. 

12 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    I loved Me Before You and am glad to hear that the sequel offered a glimpse into Louisa's life following Will's death.


  2. Jillian Says:

    I agree that After You really is just so different from Me Before You. Maybe that's the point? I admittedly didn't like it as much as I felt like it completely switched stories, but I still really like Louisa's character so I enjoyed reading her story.


  3. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Louisa's life after Will's passing was both a misery and an emotional one but I'm glad she managed to get through it.


  4. Melody Says:

    Jillian - Yes, I'm sure readers want to read the new Louisa after what Will had wished of her. I've to admit the beginning of the book got to me but towards the end I was glad to see how her mindset has changed.


  5. I haven't yet read the first book, but I do want to. I am glad to hear this sequel is good as well. Both sound like they are meaningful reads with strong messages.


  6. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I hope you'll enjoy reading these two books if you get to them, Wendy!


  7. Anonymous Says:

    Looking forward to reading this! I like Jojo Moyes so much, am really glad the blogosphere led me to her work.


  8. Iliana Says:

    I loved Me Before You so much that I am a bit apprehensive about reading this one but I know I'll get to it one of these days! So glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    Hope you have a wonderful December, Melody! Enjoy your blogging break!


  9. The Bookworm Says:

    I have this on my wishlist, I like this author :)


  10. Melody Says:

    Jenny - I hope you'll enjoy this book as much as I did!


  11. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I know what you mean, Iliana. This is definitely different from Me Before You but the emotions are there and I was glad to 'see' Louisa again.


  12. Melody Says:

    Naida - I like this author, too! I need to read her other books soon!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.