Melody

ISBN-13: 9781451691214
Publisher: Touchstone
Publication Date: August 2015 
Format: Paperback, 384 pgs
Source: Library



At first glance, Crazy Love You may seemed like a typical crazed-man-stalked-woman kind of thriller but let me tell you this novel took me by surprise, which is a good thing. Well, although the stalking and obsessive parts are still present in this story, the author has taken a different approach with the storyline and weaved something different out of it. 

Ian and Priss are childhood friends. When Ian was ten, his mother suffered from postpartum psychosis and killed his baby sister. Ian has somewhat felt lonely and a little depressed after the birth of his sister, given that she had attracted most of their mother's attention but it is mostly after his mother's admittance to a mental hospital which led to a downward spiral of his life. His father is more of a practical person and hardly someone who has a gift in words. Although he too feels the ache and pains for himself as well as Ian, he never really shows his emotions. And Ian feels he is lost to the world, until he met Priss in the woods. 

Priss is everything Ian is not - she is wild, bold and unreliable and most of all, she is Ian's personal hero and an avenger. Ian used to be fat, acne-faced and often gets bullied in school but now they are all scared of him. His 'relationship' with Priss continues all the way to adulthood. Ian is a successful graphic novelist then but Priss remains where she is, except that she is getting wilder, bolder and more beautiful. Although Ian is satisfied with his career, he is getting tired of the wild things he's done with Priss - the drinks, the drugs and their passionate nights together; all his efforts in trying to keep his depressing past at bay until the day he met Megan. Megan is nothing like Priss; she is sweet, kind and has a loving parents. Ian wants to have a future with Megan but Priss isn't happy. And from there onwards bad and unexplainable things begin to happen to Ian. This chain of unhappiness events will lead Ian to return to his childhood home in The Hollows, where he would learn something about the place he'd grown up in and the secrets which are still hidden there, waiting to be exposed. 

As I mentioned before, Crazy Love You threw me off by surprise. I couldn't say what the surprise is, because that would take away your, er, surprise. However, I can say it was a very different read from the others which fall into the obsessive love category, and to me it was a good thing and definitely offers a fresh perspective. Aside from the storyline, what I liked best is the graphic novels culture which is an obvious important thread in this story. You see, Ian finds solace in comic books as a boy and his love for them has made him as what he is today. There are parts of Ian's graphic novel story, Fatboy and Priss, being incorporated into the novel so readers will understand more about Ian's and Priss' world, after all Ian devotes most of his life story into his graphics. I wouldn't say I liked all the characters here, but suffice it to say they are all very interesting and are well developed. The setting of The Hollows is an atmospheric place and I understand that the author has this setting in her previous books before; and readers will be able to read about this setting again in the author's latest release, Ink and Bone, which would be out in June 2016. 

16 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    I've read 2 by Unger--one I really liked and the other, not at all. I've been meaning to try again, and I like the idea of including the graphic novel culture so maybe I'll look for this one.


  2. Marce Says:

    I really enjoy Lisa Unger and don't read her enough, I want to catch up on her older ones also, so good. Definitely adding this to the list, great review, can't wait to find out what the surprise and different spin is.


  3. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - This is my second book by Unger. I've to say I've enjoyed reading this book better than the other one I read years ago. I think her books are either a hit or miss to me. Still, I'm glad I read this one.


  4. Melody Says:

    Marce - I'll definitely check out her previous novels. I hope you'll enjoy this book when you get to it.


  5. Adding this to my TBR list right now! I am so curious to see what was different that you are talking about :) Great review!


  6. Melody Says:

    Samantha - Thank you, Sam! The difference was totally refreshing in my opinion; I wish I could say what it was. ;-)


  7. I like it when an author takes a book in a different direction. This sounds really good, Melody! Thanks for your thoughtful review.


  8. Kay Says:

    I'm listening to Unger's books set in The Hollows on audio and have been doing this for a bit. I'm about to start this one, probably tomorrow. I look forward to it and to INK AND BONE in the summer. Well, I actually have an ARC of it, but will likely wait to read it for a bit. I really like Lisa Unger's Hollows books.


  9. The Bookworm Says:

    Crazy Love You sounds like a good one. The setting sounds atmospheric. Great review!


  10. Melody Says:

    Wendy - Me too! I also loved reading about the graphic novels culture here. I hope you'll give this book a try!


  11. Melody Says:

    Kay - I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this, Kay!


  12. Melody Says:

    Naida - Thank you, Naida! I was glad I read it. :-)


  13. I just finished In the Blood by Unger and really enjoyed it. This is on my list as well.


  14. Melody Says:

    Diane - I'm glad you enjoyed In the Blood. That'd be on my wishlist. :-) Hope you'll enjoy this book too!


  15. Iliana Says:

    I think I need to pick up a Lisa Unger book. I feel like I keep seeing her books everywhere lately, which is not a bad thing. She's got some really good thrillers. Enjoyed your review Melody!


  16. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I think this is the second Lisa Unger book I read and it was better than the first I read. I think her books are either a hit or miss to me but I'm definitely reading more by her.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.