Melody

Sphere | August 2016 | 432 pgs
Source: Purchased

[May contain slight minor spoilers from the previous installments but no spoiler for this 4th installment]


In this latest installment of Kelley Armstrong's Cainsville series, the complexity of the relationship between Olivia, Gabriel and Ricky heightens and stakes run higher than before. If you are following this series, you would know that the three characters are walking on eggshells since they 'undertook' the role of the age old folklore surrounding faes, huntsmen and other fantastical creatures alike. No, this isn't a spoiler and for readers who are new to this series, they would know that there is something extraordinary between them and things have simply spun out of control ever since they made a pact since young decades ago, and how a broken promise has started the chain of events for them, spanning over generations and involving different people for the roles of Matilda (now Olivia), Gwynn (now Gabriel) and Arawn (now Ricky). That chain never breaks until the present Olivia takes a side; to be with the Tylwyth Teg (Gwynn's) or the Cwn Annwn (Arawn's) clan. 

Despite Olivia is in a relationship with Ricky, she still harbours thoughts about Gabriel's real feelings towards her even though he has assured them both that he is not interested in Olivia from the beginning. But of course, we are all fully aware that things might not remain the same and that minds change as the time goes. Readers will see much more vulnerable side of Gabriel in this installment, as well as Ricky's feeling towards their friendship. 

But that is not all, there is a new mystery surrounding them involving the lamiae, the snake-like creatures and the case of a rogue Huntsman and a wounded hound from the Cwn Annwn. Most of all, Ricky is being framed for a series of murder he didn't commit and Olivia has to turn to the Cainsville's elders for information and to seek their assistance with much reluctance. 

This installment is about betrayal and more betrayals, but there is also a light of hope and trust as the characters are trying their best to maintain that friendship they have built centuries ago. However, given their dark history throughout generations, is it even possible? 

I was waiting for this installment with impatience since the last installment. I am engrossed with this series as aside from the complex relationship, I was also intrigued with the mystery surrounding the lamiae and the rouge Huntsman; it was interesting to read about some information of the lamiae and why that Huntsman haunts Olivia and Ricky. Olivia is not new to having visions penetrating her mind at times but it seems Gabriel and Ricky started to experience them in this installment. 

Unlike other triangle-love novels, this isn't a question of who will get who in the end but how it affects them should that friendship pact is (or had been) broken. Of course there are consequences and I am very curious how the story will turn out in the end. Now I have to wait for another year for the next installment to be released. 


Related posts:
Omens (Book #1)
Visions (Book #2)
Deceptions (Book #3)




© 2016 Melody's Reading Corner, All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
8 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    It's always a great day when you get to read a book in a series you love, isn't it! I have to admit that I haven't read this series though it has been recommended to me many times by other book lovers. It's interesting that on the U.S. version of the cover there is a large menacing dog, and on your cover is a raven (or crow?). I guess they both tie into the plot somehow.

    Maybe I need to give Omens a try since I enjoyed the first book in the other new series Ms. Armstrong started last year. I've only read 2 YA books by her previously and that is not my favorite genre so I'm intrigued by both these series. Glad you enjoyed, hope the wait for the next is worth it!


  2. Iliana Says:

    That's quite an ominous cover isn't it! I love it when you get so involved with a series that you can't wait for the next installment.


  3. I am glad you continue to enjoy this series, Melody. It sounds like it has remained strong throughout. One of these days I will give this series a try. :-)


  4. Melody Says:

    Rita - I've to admit I've a love/hate feelings towards series books, lol. While it's wonderful that a story we like will take a longer time to finish, it's the waiting time that's agonising.

    I haven't read all the other series books by Kelly Armstrong, but so far the few books I'd read by her I enjoyed them. I hope you'll give this series a try!


  5. Melody Says:

    Iliana - It is, isn't it? While the wait seems like a long one, I'm also grateful that I've other great books to keep me occupied. :)


  6. Melody Says:

    Wendy - Sometimes we lose interest in a series depending on the plot it is going but I'm glad this one continues to intrigue me. I hope you'll enjoy this series when you do give it a try. :)


  7. jenclair Says:

    Oh, how long is this series going to go on?! I've read the previous three, and I was kind of hoping this one wind the series up. I hate waiting, and I guess there will be another long wait after this one. My interest has wanded somewhat, but I still want to have some conclusion. And I'm definitely Team Gabriel.


  8. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I suppose the next installment will be the last one. After all the readings I still haven't decide which team I'm on, though I've to say I'm leaning a bit more towards Gabriel after reading this, haha. We shall see how it'll end.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.