Melody

Simon & Schuster UK | August 2016 | 384 pgs
Source: Purchased



Colleen Hoover's latest release, It Ends With Us, wasn't an easy read. While her signature for writing an intense love story is still there, this story comes together with a heavy issue which will break your heart but it was also a thought-provoking story which is uplifting as well. Please be aware that my thoughts contain spoilers as I felt it is impossible (hard) to write my thoughts without talking about the issue found in this book. 

The story begins with our protagonist, Lily Bloom, delivering an eulogy at her father's funeral. While she is supposed to feel sad with her father's death, in fact she could't help but to feel a bit glad that their unhappy past is over, especially for her mother. You see, Lily's parents' marriage was an abusive one. Every time after her father hit her mother, he would tell her again and again that he was sorry. And although Lily's mother always ended up hurt in every places, physically and emotionally, in the end she always let it go and think that whatever her husband did to her there must be a reason. Unfortunately, that cycle never ends until his death. 

Lily carries this emotional burden with her through her teenage years till her adult life. She works hard and after graduated from college, she moves to Boston from her small town in Maine to begin a new life. She started her own business and it is also at this moment that she meets a handsome, charismatic neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid. Lily begins to think that her new life is a good beginning to everything, and most importantly she is happy again. There was once that she thought she would never get over an old friend, Atlas Corrigan, a homeless guy whom she had helped when she was fifteen but their friendship had ended when he left for Boston to live with his uncle. Lily treasured those moments with Atlas a lot, and she would always write her thoughts on a journal addressing to Ellen DeGeneres, because she loves her show. She called all her journals "My Ellen Diaries" and they contain all her memories of her time with Atlas. 

While Atlas is not what Ryle is, with his brains, charms and all, Lily at times wonder what it would be like if he and Atlas are still together. Would they be a couple? Despite her feelings, Lily is satisfied with her relationship with Ryle as he is an amazing lover who will always think of her first. However, there is a side of Ryle which Lily hasn't noticed, and that side would soon emerge especially after Atlas appears into her life, again. 

It Ends With Us is deeply emotional in many levels and while the subject deals with a heavy issue, I enjoyed the author's writing style. I liked how she wrapped two stories into one - Atlas' past in journal form and Lily's present in first person narrative. While this story is fictional, Lily's nuances of life and her experiences reflect what some women experience in reality and this made it to be a deeply personal novel as well, especially to the author as this is written based on her real-life experiences. While Lily's mother remains to suffer under her husband's abusive behaviours, the author's mother decided for a divorce before the author turned three. Despite all circumstances, the author has the utmost respect for parents who don't involve their children in the dissolution of their relationship, like the way her mother wanted the relationship with her father to be free of any strain by not discussing about it. She decided to break the pattern before it broke her children and it wasn't easy. After all, she made the ultimate decision to leave someone she loved so that her daughters would not think that the abusive relationship was okay. 

Although this is only my second Colleen Hoover book, I think this will remain as my "most powerful and unforgettable read" among all her other books, which I know I want to get to them in the near future. 




© 2016 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
8 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    I've never read anything by this author, but this book does sound interesting. I find it interesting that the author's mother had the courage to break the pattern and keep her children away from the abuse.


  2. It sounds like this one made quite an impression on you. It also sounds like the author dealt with a very difficult subject matter well. Being in that cycle of violence is so hard to break. I will definitely keep this one on my radar. Thanks for the insightful review, Melody.


  3. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - It's hard to read anything about abuse, in any form. That said, there's romance in this book so that kinds of balance things out.


  4. Melody Says:

    Wendy - It sure did, Wendy. The author had written an unforgettable story in this book; the more so with her experiences when she was young.


  5. Iliana Says:

    I skimmed through your review Melody because I have this one on my Kindle but I think I'm in for a great read. I have read a Hoover book before and she really does do well with emotional situations. Looking forward to reading this one.


  6. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I wished I'd a better way of writing this review without spoilers but well... it was hard not to as I felt those emotions hit me hard without discussing it. Yes, she really does do well with emotional situations, doesn't she?


  7. The Bookworm Says:

    I'm a fan of Colleen Hoovers and I don't read her as much as I would like to. I need to pick this one up, it sounds intense. Great review!


  8. Melody Says:

    Naida - Now I've to add more Colleen Hoover's books to my to-read list after enjoying two of her books. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.