Melody

Penguin Publishing Group | August 216 | 304 pgs
Source: Purchased



Told in two alternating voices and time periods, this story is about the friendship between two girls and how an incident in the past caught up with them.

Edie is bold and beautiful whereas Heather is shy and awkward. When Heather first met Edie, she knew she is unlike any other girls in school. Edie is not only wild and beautiful, she's also the only girl who would look beyond Heather as who she is and show her what good friends are supposed to be. For a while, they have a wonderful friendship until Edie falls in love.

Seventeen years later, Edie moved to London and is a single mother. Life is hard but she got by, until Heather appears and enters into her life once again. Heather's arrival is perfect as that is the time Edie is overwhelmed by the needs of a new baby and sinks into a dark despair. Heather not only saves her but is also proving to be a good helper in taking care of little Maya.

As the days go by, Edie has the feeling that someone is watching and stalking her. Edie begins to wonder about Heather's barging into her life then; could it really be a coincidence?

Watching Edie is an intense read and I enjoyed the writing style told in the past in Heather's voice and Edie's present. This allows readers to learn about each character's development and climax build as the story progress and the truth begins to reveal from the past. This is quite different from your typical psychology thriller as although there is still enough suspense to capture your attention; it is very much of a what-really-happened kind of suspense with two unreliable narrators. Overall I enjoyed the story well enough, but not enough to wow me.


© 2016 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
8 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    It does sound like an intense read with two unreliable narrators. I'm curious about why Heather shows up. :)


  2. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Unlikeable and unreliable narrators seem to be the trend lately. Now I'm going to read something different so as I won't get tired of them. ;)


  3. I was surprised by this one, I liked it as well.


  4. Melody Says:

    Diane - I'm glad you enjoyed this as well.


  5. Lark Says:

    I don't always like alternating POVs, but it sounds like it adds to the psychological tension in this novel. Would you read this author again?


  6. Melody Says:

    Lark - I don't mind alternating POVs, they make me understand more of their thoughts. Yes, I'll probably read this author again.


  7. Iliana Says:

    Sounds like a great thriller! Glad to hear you liked this one Melody. I plan to read this one.


  8. Melody Says:

    Iliana - It was an intense read. I hope you'll enjoy it when you get to it.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.