Melody


Random House Children's Books | November 2016 | 384 pgs
Source: Purchased




This is a story about love, fate and the universe. Wait, you'd probably wonder: What has the universe got to do with what seems like a YA love story here? Everything. It revolves around this Earth, the connections among people, humanity, and of course the characters in this story. 

Natasha believes in science and facts, not fate. She definitely does not foresee herself meeting a boy and falling in love with him. To be in love requires chemistry between two people and that definitely falls under the science department, isn't it? But Natasha isn't worried about love and relationship, she has more things to worry; such as her family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica after her father's DUI which led them being discovered for undocumented immigrants. Natasha doesn't want to leave America; how could they when they have spent most of their time and life here, doing what everyone is and living the days as they go by. 

Daniel's parents are from South Korea but have moved to America with the help of a relative who'd been doing well for himself in NYC. Daniel and his older brother, Charlie, were born in America. Daniel has always been the family's good son, unlike Charlie. He is also a good student too; and one who live by their parents' high expectations although he does have his own dreams. But seeing Natasha changes all that. There is something about her that makes Daniel think that love at first sight (or second sight) exists and that it happens despite Natasha's skepticism. 

As Daniel and Natasha connect through their conversations, they found out that not only love is magical and involves chemistry (yep, definitely science here) but also the endless possibilities in the universe. These led them (as well as this reader) into pondering about the every moment in our lives might have brought us to a single moment which may change our life or see things in a new light. The possibilities are endless... which one would we be it? 

I also loved Nicola Yoon's insightful views when she wrote about immigrants, whether they are undocumented or not. What really makes this novel about connections is aside from the two lead characters, readers also get to know the perspectives from a few people surrounding Daniel and Natasha and how they will impact them, or vice versa. I found myself teary-eyed when I turned the final page because it was a moving story and a meaningful one as well.



© 2016 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
9 Responses
  1. Lark Says:

    I've been wondering what this book is about. Thanks for the review!


  2. jenclair Says:

    I've seen something about this one recently, but can't remember where. Sounds like a timely topic for today's world.


  3. Melody Says:

    Lark - My pleasure, Lark. :)


  4. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I enjoyed her previous book - Everything, Everything so I knew I've to read her next release and I'm glad this didn't disappoint. Indeed the topic of this story is timely for today's world.


  5. Iliana Says:

    A five star review - awesome! I've had my eye on this one so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it Melody.


  6. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I really enjoyed this book; I think Nicola Yoon's books are now onto my to-buy list. I hope you'll enjoy this book as much as I did, Iliana.


  7. The Bookworm Says:

    It sounds good, especially if it left you teary eyed at the end. Great review :)


  8. Melody Says:

    Naida - Thanks, Naida! :)


  9. Yay! I am so glad you read and liked this one. Melody. I just love Natasha and Daniel.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.