Melody

Entourage is a remake of the U.S. drama series of the same title, with South Korea's tvN bought publication rights in 2015. 



Basically, this is a story about the entertainment industry and how this industry works from the top rank down to staffs who run odd jobs. 

The core characters include five men with different ranks and backgrounds. Cha Young-Bin (starring Seo Kang-Joon) is a rising star actor and is working very hard to clinch more movie contracts that could make him famous. Staying under the same roof with him is his three other friends who have known one another since young. Ho-Jin (starring Park Jung-Min) is now Young-Bin's manager and his life revolves mostly around Young-Bin. Cha Joon (starring Lee Kwang-Soo) is Young-Bin's cousin and an actor who is struggling to make a name for himself but often being duped by many for his stupidity. Geo-Book "Turtle" (starring Lee Dong-Hwi) is unemployed and spends most of his time playing online games; he spends most of his time with Cha Joon since both of them seem to have nothing much to do. Kim Eun-Gab (starring Cho Jin-Woong) is CEO of a management company and Young-Bin is one of his treasured actors. 

As I haven't watched the U.S. version I couldn't comment anything about it but this remake is not a drama which I think would appeal to all. This black comedy drama, aside from the entertainment industry, focus much of its attention on men's friendship (there are some occasional swearing and rude gestures but not too much that would bother me) as well as the tension between managers and staff. There is little romance so if you are going for that you'd be disappointed. Despite these, I quite enjoyed this drama although it took me a while to warm up to the characters. Young-Bin was charming yet at times I found him to be a bit indecisive, thus missing a few contracts. Ho-Jin was a great manager who put Young-Bin above himself; I think he was the only one person whom I really like if I've to choose among others. Cha Joon and Turtle, though funny, they sometimes gave people the impression that they are good-for-nothing. That said, they are also the ones who brought out the most laughter amid everything. 

Overall it was an interesting drama; one which allows me to take a deep look inside the entertainment industry and how directors, managers and artistes interact with one another within their jobs. 


© 2016 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
2 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    Ooh, I'm watching Goblin, now, and enjoying it!


  2. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I'm loving Goblin! I'm now waiting anxiously for each week to come so I'll catch the latest episode!


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.