Melody

HarperCollins | November 2016 | 432 pgs
Source: Library



Cecelia Ahern's latest release, Lyrebird, is a story about humans' connections and how one moment could change everything.

Bo and Solomon, together with Rachel, work as a team for their documentary makings. Bo is the main person who produces and coordinates for all the filming, Solomon is the sound recordist while Rachel is the one behind the camera. Bo and Solomon are together as a couple for two years; and the trio are still elated over the awards they've won for their previous documentary on The Toolin Twins, featuring two seventy-plus old men living simply in an isolated part of the Cork countryside. What makes the brothers so special is they live and work together all their lives; they work in harsh conditions and rarely leave the land. Neither of them have ever had a romantic relationship with a woman; they are contented to have each other until the death of their lives.

After the success of the documentary, Bo and her two crew think they would be leaving the Toolin twins for good until they received the passing of one of the twins, Tom. Out of respect, the trio visited the isolated countryside once again to attend Tom's funeral and this is when Solomon met Laura; an extraordinary young woman who possess the talent of mimicking any sound she comes across. Laura is also fascinated by Solomon's calm and gentle demeanour and his presence is the only thing that comforts her amongst the strangers who set foot on their land. While Solomon is being careful around Laura, Bo on the other hand is excited about Laura's ability and wants her to be in her next documentary show. Thus, giving her the nickname 'Lyrebird'.

Laura is skeptical and anxious at first, but she quickly pulled from her peaceful, solidarity life to the cacophony of Dublin; a city life which both fascinates and scares her at the same time. Fame took her by storm after millions have watched and liked her performance, but fame could also turn one's life upside down without knowingly.

Lyrebird was a refreshing read to me; after all it's been a long while since I've read a fiction like Cecelia Ahern's. I enjoyed reading the first part where I got to learn more about Laura, as well as her interactions with the documentary trio, in particularly Solomon. There's obviously some sparks between Laura and Solomon right from the beginning. Laura's past was a puzzle and it was good to see how she's grown and how things have finally fell into place towards the end. Initially I wasn't sure how I felt about this book; for the story seemed to take a turn after Laura's fame and suddenly most characters seemed to take on a self-centered characteristics. However, my doubts are short-lived as the story picked up its momentum once again and I even felt it moving in the end. Lyrebird was a fine story but I was more engaged by the characters, such as Laura and Solomon.  







© 2017 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
12 Responses
  1. Kay Says:

    I've not heard of this book, Melody. That bird is lovely and it's interesting how the author wove the story of the bird into the story of the people.


  2. jenclair Says:

    Thanks for including the pic of the lyrebird--love that tail! And the book sounds interesting, too. :)


  3. Marce Says:

    There are some bloggers that love her work. I have had Marble Collector on my Wishlist for over a year but it is not available for Kindle.


  4. Lark Says:

    I read another book by Cecilia Ahern that I really enjoyed, but I haven't read her since; this one does sound good. And I love that lyrebird pic! Too bad they didn't put that on the cover of this book. :)


  5. Melody Says:

    Kay - Yes, that bird is lovely isn't it? I haven't heard of this bird so I'm glad this book gave me the chance to Google it. :)


  6. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - It's a beautiful bird. I don't think I've seen anything like it.


  7. Melody Says:

    Marce - Yes, I'm aware there are many readers who love her books. I haven't read many of her books so I'll have to check out her other books.


  8. Melody Says:

    Lark - This book has an interesting premise. And I loved it that the author created a character with the lyrebird idea. :)


  9. Iliana Says:

    That bird is so pretty! Thank you for including the picture. I can't believe I've not read anything by this author. I have a feeling I'd enjoy her writing.


  10. The Bookworm Says:

    What a pretty cover, I have never read Cecelia Ahern but this sounds good. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!


  11. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I think I've only read two books by this author and I'll definitely check out the rest of her books in the near future.


  12. Melody Says:

    Naida - I hope you'll enjoy it when you do read it, Naida.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.