Melody

Sphere | December 2016 | 407 pgs
Source: Library




How Will I Know You? may seem like any other suspense thrillers but the topics in this book are often thought-provoking and mostly revolve around families, causes and consequences and a murder case with implications pertaining to race.

In a close-knit community of a small town where everyone seems to know everyone's life, they are shaken by the news of teenage Joy Enright's death. Believed to be drown in a frozen pond, the autopsy later revealed that she was strangled first before her body was found at the edge of the pond. Her death is a mystery to all; her parents couldn't understand who would want to harm their daughter and her best friend, Harper, is puzzled over Joy's cool demeanour towards her before her death. Joy's mother, Susanne, has a little secret involving her younger teaching assistant, an African American named Martin Willett and things began to escalate quickly after he is accused for causing Joy's death.

The story's background also tells another tale of Tom, who is a rescue diver and son-in-law of the town police chief, Doug, who is in charge of Joy's case. Doug is adamant about Martin being guilty but Tom doubts his own perceptions as well as his father-in-law's belief. As the story moves along, the truth unravels towards the end will make us question everything we thought we know about the ones we love.

While this is very much a suspense thriller, I thought it was also a story about family dynamics and of perceptions which would either make or break a person. The characters here are well defined and the mystery surrounding Joy's death was a huge draw to this story as readers are well aware from the beginning that Martin is wrongly convicted but what really happened and why? I also liked how the story was told in both 'Before' and 'After' the incident, as well as Martin's narrative throughout some parts of the book, allowing readers to get into his mind and to understand what he has gone through being a person of colour. Overall it was a great read and I would be curious to find out what the author would come up with next.


© 2017 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
12 Responses
  1. Kay Says:

    I'm looking forward to reading this book. Glad to hear your thoughts on it. I have a copy on audio, so will likely put it in the queue soon.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    Ooh, I want this one! Thanks for a really good review that let me know just enough to want to pick it up. I like psychological thrillers like you, and this one sounds perfect!


  3. Melody Says:

    Kay - I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it, Kay. :)


  4. Melody Says:

    Rita - I hope you'll enjoy this book when you get to it, Rita. :)


  5. jenclair Says:

    I haven't read anything by this author, but How Will I know You? sounds interesting!


  6. Lark Says:

    This does sound good. I'll have to add Treadway to the list of new authors I really want to try...that ever-growing list. ;)


  7. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - This is the first time I read anything by this author. I enjoyed her writing style so I'll keep a look out for her future books.


  8. Melody Says:

    Lark - It's wonderful to explore new authors and having liking their books along the way, isn't it? Hope you'll enjoy this one when you get to it, Lark. :)


  9. I really like it when an author explores how situations like the one in this book impacts everyone, how they react and what they felt or did leading up to the event. It sounds like this is a good one worth checking out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Melody.


  10. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I find it interesting to see how the characters will react in difficult, tragic situations such as this, and not to mention something worth thinking about for us readers. I'll have to check out Jessica's previous books.


  11. Iliana Says:

    I haven't read anything by her and this does sound like a good one to check out. Great review Melody!


  12. Melody Says:

    Iliana - Thanks, Iliana! This is the first time I read by this author but definitely not the last. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.