Melody
Carina | April 2016 | 356 pgs
Source: Library


Is it just me? It seems like domestic issues are the trend in psychological thrillers lately. Don't get me wrong; I haven't gotten tired of reading them yet. They are a thrill to read, but a BIG No-no in reality. That said, I still find myself getting all riled up reading about them in fiction, such as Between You and Me.

This story hugely focus on a controlling spouse and domestic abuse and like many other books out there of the same issues, this wasn't an easy read and there were times I either shook my head in sympathy or just wanted to hurl the book across the room after reading parts of the controlling behaviours. But wait... while the first half of the book was difficult to read (and not to mention repetitive at times), the second half took a turn and this is when things became intense and exciting. Sal and Charlie are both interesting characters and each of them has their own narrative through alternating chapters.

To say what changes the dynamics would be a spoiler, but this is one of those books that requires a reader to be patient and immerse in that kind of strained atmosphere until that pent-up emotions led to a twisty turn towards the few remaining chapters of the book. I felt the twist was good but not enough to 'wow' me; granted I read a review which briefly mentioned that core element and that there are bits of clues towards the end if one pay enough attention. That said, it was still a satisfying read to me.


© 2017 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
6 Responses
  1. Kay Says:

    Good to hear your thoughts on this one. It's been on my mental list or possibly I even own it. Sigh. I'd have to look. Yes, domestic suspense has certainly been the trend lately. I haven't come to the end of my fascination with them yet, though sometimes do get a bit weary. Switching to a different type of mystery, like a police procedural or something, seems to do the trick and then I'm back in the game. I want to read BETWEEN YOU AND ME. LOL


  2. Lark Says:

    I have to admit, domestic problems are not my favorite story line, even when they show up in a good psychological thriller. There are just some plots I have a harder time making myself pick up and read, you know?


  3. jenclair Says:

    The controlling spouse/partner does seem to be showing up frequently!


  4. Melody Says:

    Kay - Totally get what you mean about switching a different type of mystery or even genres, Kay. I'm in the middle of reading THE LOST GIRLS by Heather Young and it was good so far; definitely a switch, lol. Can't wait to hear your thoughts if you do read BYAM. ;)


  5. Melody Says:

    Lark - They can be hard to read, those domestic issues. I mean, the abuse is bad enough but murder? :(


  6. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - That's what I thought, lol.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.