Melody

Mira | July 2014 | 352 pgs
Source: Library



Mary Kubica's The Good Girl not only is a well crafted psychological thriller but it also allows readers to see another side of an interactive communication between a captor and a captive of an abduction case.

Mia Dennett is a high school's Arts teacher and also the daughter of a prominent judge. When her co-worker reports her missing one day, her mother, Eve, knew something is wrong. It is unlikely of Mia's character to go somewhere unannounced or do something outrageous, however her father thinks otherwise and concluded that Mia might be out somewhere partying, after all she is a grown woman and he even deemed her as a juvenile delinquent during her teenage years. Eve, on the other hand, points out that she was young and was just being a teenager at that time.

Gabe Hoffman, the detective tasked to the case is adamant of finding Mia and her captor and when Mia is eventually found, he is still trying to unravel the truth behind the abduction, especially since Mia doesn't remember much of what happened to her and why she is calling herself Chloe instead of her birth name.

Narrated by three characters and accompanied by events what happened before and after, this character-driven story leads readers through a surprising end of an abduction case filled with emotions and a bout of family dynamics. The plot was great but I wasn't entirely enamoured by the way the story was told. At times I had to refer back to the beginning of the narrator's chapter to see who was narrating and whether if it was told before or after the incident especially if I had to resume my reading after stopping in the middle of a chapter, but well perhaps that's just me. That being said, I still think this style worked and even the narratives that tell the 'after' events were vague and you wouldn't really know the real motive until the end.


© 2017 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
10 Responses
  1. Kay Says:

    I haven't read any of Mary Kubica's books as yet. I know that many have and I saw recently that she'll have a new one coming out before long. I think I've heard thoughts similar to yours from others and also that some books work well and some not as much. I'll get to them at some point I'm sure. Is this the first book by her you have read?


  2. jenclair Says:

    I haven't read anything by Mary Kubica, either, although I've been seeing her name more frequently. I am curious about the structure--I read a book a couple of months ago that had me checking back to see who was narrating. If the content and the voice aren't clear--the technique becomes frustrating.


  3. Lark Says:

    It is frustrating when you can't keep track of which narrative voice the author is using now...especially when I'm tired and don't want to think too hard while I'm reading. ;) But this book does sound interesting.


  4. Melody Says:

    Kay - This is the first book I read by her. I've also heard that some of her books work well and some; thus I suppose I'll have to read more reviews before deciding which to read. ;)


  5. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Yes, I do find it a bit frustrating if I've to check back the chapters but if the author does it well I suppose that adds some intrigue to the plot.


  6. Melody Says:

    Lark - Yes, and I can be impatient at times, especially if the story is going somewhere. :)


  7. The Bookworm Says:

    I have seen this book around and it looks good. The way it is narrated sounds confusing though, that would pull me right out of the story.
    Thanks for the honest review, it still sounds like a good one.


  8. Melody Says:

    Naida - The premise was interesting! I wished the narratives part was a bit more precise though; like naming the narrator in the beginning of each chapter. Oh well.


  9. Marce Says:

    I had to go read my review also as I had no memory of this one. This was her debut and I enjoyed it a little like you, I think I have enjoyed her others a little more.


  10. Melody Says:

    Marce - I've heard her books are either a hit or a miss. That being said, I'll still look forward to her other books.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.