Melody

HarperCollins Publishers | July 2016 | 352 pgs
Source: Library



In 1935, a six-year-old Emily Evans went missing from her family's vacation home on a remote Minnesota lake. The Evanses family was devastated; years gone by without any news on Emily's disappearance and her two older sisters, Lilith and Lucy, remained living at the same lake house throughout their old age despite everything; each harbouring her own thoughts and vigil for the lost sister until only Lucy remained. As the time went by, Lucy knew she had to tell her story of what happened during that devastating summer of 1935 before she passed and so a journal was written. This journal, together with the lake house, would be passed on to her grandniece, Justine.

Justine, a single mom, is surprised over the inheritance but she sees the lake house as an escapism of her messed up life, juggling between a manipulating boyfriend and her two daughters. However, the lake house is no sanctuary and in no time she is challenged by the dilapidated state of the house during the winter period. Her only neighbour is a strange old man and though he seems helpful, Justine suspects he knows more than he's telling concerning the Evanses girls and that summer of 1935.

Narrated by Lucy and Justine alternatively, The Lost Girls is a haunting and riveting story about the Evanses girls and the mystery surrounding Emily's disappearance. This novel also examines the bond and loyalty between sisters, and what defines promise and regrets as the story slowly unfolds. This is a great debut as it is both skilfully crafted and beautifully written; I found myself lost in Heather's (and Lucy's) story not only it was suspenseful but also the emotions that grasped me from the beginning till the end. I didn't really like any of the characters but they captivated me. I will be looking forward to this author's next release.


© 2017 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
10 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    I'm so glad that you liked this one! I read it a while back and was really impressed. I'm looking forward to Heather Young's next book, too!


  2. Lark Says:

    It sounds like the alternating narrative works okay in this book, but why didn't you like any of the characters?


  3. Rebecca Says:

    I read this one a bit ago and the story is still pretty fresh in my mind. It has staying power. But, oh - it was so sad!! For those girls, back in the historical setting. How awful.
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'


  4. The Bookworm Says:

    The Lost Girls sounds like a great mystery, thanks for the recommendation. Great review!


  5. I love books like this, and The Lost Girls sounds like a good one. I am glad you enjoyed it, Melody.


  6. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Yes, it was great! Thanks for your review, Jenclair! That's one reason I read it. :)


  7. Melody Says:

    Lark - Yes, the narratives work and their voices are precise. I didn't really like the characters because of the way they behave; well except for little Emily since she's so young.


  8. Melody Says:

    Rebecca - I definitely agree with you about the staying power. I still think about it now.


  9. Melody Says:

    Naida - Thank you, Naida! It was a good read and I'm glad I read it. :)


  10. Melody Says:

    Wendy - I hope you'll enjoy it if you do read it, Wendy.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.