Melody

Grand Central Publishing | February 2015 | 352 pgs
Source: Library



This first novel by Sandra Block is a story about Freudian nightmare and the dark side of memories, family and the strain and bond that connect us all, as well as the discovery of one's own empathy. 

Dr. Zoe Goldman is a resident in training in a psychiatric ward in Buffalo, New York. Aside from tending to troubled patients, she is intrigued by a new patient who murdered her mother. While Sofia's case is disturbing, Zoe on the other end has her own baggage; she was adopted and she wants to know why and how her biological mother passed, especially she has been plagued by nightmares of a fire during her childhood. To complicate matters, her adoptive mother loses her memory to dementia and she has to rely on her own to search for the answers. 

Of course we all know that the truth might not be pleasant and what we know might hurt us; so ultimately Zoe would find out the truth surrounding her past and well, what a surprise it was. 

I read Little Black Lies with no idea where this story would take me so I enjoyed that moment of having the story unveiling itself to me. Zoe was an interesting character with some emotional baggage. Overall, the story was intriguing but I thought there's still room for improvement concerning the characters' development. That being said, Little Black Lies was an intriguing read and I am curious where the author would take us in her next Zoe Goldman series, The Girl Without a Name


© 2017 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
10 Responses
  1. jenclair Says:

    I enjoyed this one. I remember having questions about the pharmacology, though. Seems like I looked up some stuff about what they were prescribing, but I don't remember the results.


  2. Lark Says:

    You know I liked The Girl Without a Name, but I still need to read this first one. It's just too many other books keep getting in the way. :)


  3. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Yes, I'm intrigued with a few medical issues here. It's always interesting how some books have us looking up stuff on the Internet, isn't it? :)


  4. Melody Says:

    Lark - Yes, I read this book knowing that you enjoyed TGWAN and I thought it's best I start with the first book. I definitely know that feeling about other books getting in the way. I just wish we can just read books as a job, haha. :)


  5. I haven't read anything by Sandra Block. I vaguely remember Jenclair mentioning this one. It sounds interesting, but perhaps not one I would rush to read.


  6. Lark Says:

    Reading books as my job? Oh, Melody, how I wish I could do that! That would be the best job ever. :D


  7. Melody Says:

    Wendy - It was an interesting first book featuring Zoe Goldman. I hope her next book will be better.


  8. Melody Says:

    Lark - And a librarian comes close to that. :D


  9. Iliana Says:

    Another mystery to add to my pile. There are so many good ones to check out aren't there?


  10. Melody Says:

    Iliana - There are too many good thrillers out there, isn't it? Don't we wish we've all the time to read them all. :)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.