Melody
Atria | March 2017 | 320 pgs
Source: Library



A case of a missing woman. For Virginia Knightly, this is simply one of those many sad stories she has seen or heard given that she is the producer of DC's top-rated evening news program but for some reason she feels empathy and a connection with Evelyn Carney, who has gone missing after she was last seen leaving a busy restaurant after an unpleasant conversation with her husband. Even Evelyn's best friend has no idea what happened and she is equally stumped as everyone else.

As Virginia goes on her way to dig more information about Evelyn and retrace her every last movements, she soon finds out that her personal quest has became a risk to her career as well as her life as someone who has more power and authority intends to keep that news a secret.

The Cutaway may seem like a typical thriller which has our narrator running about and solving her case ultimately, but what makes this book stands out amongst the rest is aside from the suspense, the author also offers readers an insider's look of the TV news industry and what it takes for the journalists to deliver those evening news to us. The story then move on to a more complexity turn when it mixes politics with the media and we all know how big and bad this would play out when something happens.

The beginning of the story focus more on Virginia's role as a news producer, her exchanges with her crew and what they do behind the scenes and I found these all to be very interesting and made me in awe of what it takes to be a successful TV journalist. However, there is a sharp edge to Virginia's voice and while it took me some time to warm up to her, yet from another angle this made her to be a dedicated person and combined with her fierce determination this has become an asset to her job. All in all it was a great first novel and I'll be looking forward to more of this author's work in the near future.


© 2017 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
10 Responses
  1. Lark Says:

    I've been seeing this cover everywhere lately; I'm glad to know what it's about...and that it's worth reading. Looks like you've been on a reading roll lately. :)


  2. Melody Says:

    Lark - It was an interesting read, Lark. The books I posted lately are read before my vacation. :) My current reading progress is much slower considering it's school holidays and I'm hoping it'd speed up once the school reopens. :)


  3. I'm always fascinated by the behind the scenes look into journalism, whether television, radio or newspaper. I think I would like this one.


  4. Melody Says:

    Wendy - Me too. I hope you'll enjoy this book when you get to it, Wendy.


  5. Iliana Says:

    I have this book on my Kindle and am really interested int. Great review, Melody!


  6. Melody Says:

    Iliana - Thanks, Iliana! Can't wait to hear what you'll think of it. :)


  7. Elizabeth Says:

    Very nice review. Nice blog.

    I enjoyed it too. Good read.

    Found you on Instagram. :)


  8. Melody Says:

    Elizabeth - Thanks for visiting and for your kind comments, Elizabeth! I'm glad to find your blog and have also followed you on Instagram. :)


  9. jenclair Says:

    Good Heavens--I'm so behind with my blog reading! This one sounds interesting!


  10. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - It was interesting. I hope you'll enjoy it when you get to it.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.