Melody

Penguin Publishing Group | June 2017 | 384 pgs
Source: Library



An old house demolition in London which led to a discovery of a tiny skeleton which is believed to have been buried for years. Journalist Kate Waters first came across the headline "Baby's Body Found" at the bottom of the News section in Evening Standard when she was checking for the bylines of friends. She almost missed that section since the coverage was minimal and the papers was focused more on the London Olympics instead. Intrigued with the news and determined to write something more than a few vague paragraphs, Kate began searching and unravelling the mystery of the baby's death and her tasks led her to three women and how she got sucked into a family drama involving secrets and the lies someone has to cover up over a span of forty years. 

To be honest, I think the plot was brilliant and that twisty ending totally surprised me. However, what made me plod through this book slowly is the multiple narratives involving four women. I've to admit it took me a while to get used to the style and although it was an emotional read involving a baby, I didn't really feel connected to the characters (well perhaps with the exception of Kate). Kate was an interesting character who shows a great devotion and persistence in her work and that was my impression of her. I understand she was first featured in this author's first book, The Widow, though these two books aren't connected. I'd have to check that out since there are several good reviews of it on Goodreads. I suppose another thing that slowed down my reading is the pace of the story and at times I felt it dragging. Then again, this might be a personal view and that it's more of a character-driven kind of story so this may work well with readers who are into that style. That said, I thought the ending was a good one as I didn't see it coming.



© 2017 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
8 Responses
  1. Having to follow four narratives is a lot, and when you aren't able to connect with more than one character, I can see how it might at times drag. I do like the sound of this one though, and you've got me curious about that ending! I haven't yet read The Widow either, but it's on my TBR pile. Thanks for your great review, Melody!


  2. Lark Says:

    I hate when suspenseful books like this one read slow; they should read fast. But you're right, multiple narratives like in this book can really slow you down. At least the plotting and ending were good!


  3. Melody Says:

    Wendy - Yes, the multiple narratives is a bit too many and can be confusing at times. I don't really like books which have too many narrations. Worse when a story is told present and past. Hopefully The Widow will be a good one since I've read several good reviews of it. :)


  4. Melody Says:

    Lark - I don't mind the slow buildup but it has to catch my attention. With this book the multiple narratives and the dragging killed it for me. That said, I know there're some readers who enjoyed this book so it's all depends on personal preferences. :)


  5. jenclair Says:

    I thought it dragged, too. In fact, I gave up on it about half way through. Maybe I should have stayed for the twist at the end...


  6. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - I thought this story has potential; just wished it's a bit fast-paced. Oh well.


  7. Iliana Says:

    I thought this was going to be more of a thriller so thank you for the heads up. I don't mind slower stories but if I'm in the mood for something a bit more fast-paced this might not be it!


  8. Melody Says:

    Iliana - I think I was in the minority when this one is concerned as I know some readers enjoyed it. Perhaps my mood lately calls for a fast-paced read. ;)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.