Melody

Atria Books | October 2017 | 384 pgs
Source: Library


Where should I even begin this? This novel has struck a deep chord in me in so many ways. Filled with various complicated issues yet thought-provoking in every ways, this novel allowed me to think of things which I've not thought of in another perspective and I'm glad the story has shed some new light in those areas.

To many others, the Voss family is eccentric, flawed and full of secrets. At its core of this story is seventeen-year-old Merit Voss who feels she is the odd one out in her family. She feels ignored, not appreciated and most of all, indifference to her family members. Her father is an atheist who rarely pay any attention to them except himself, her illness-stricken mother lives in their basement and her stepmother is her mother's former nurse. She isn't close with her elder brother, Utah and her little half-brother is too cute to judge. The relationship with her twin sister Honor is anything but close as their personality clashes. Honor is the beautiful and outspoken one, while Merit keeps to herself and is a plain Jane; which is strange given they look identical.

Merit also collects trophies which she didn't earn; she would buy them from the local antique shop whenever she feels miserable. While browsing the shop for her next trophy one day, she encounters a boy named Sagan. She is attracted by him instantly due to his spontaneity and the way he looks at her differently from other people but she quickly discovers that it is because Sagan has mistaken her as Honor. Though Merit tries to keep a distance from him, Sagan continues to attract her with his wit, his artistic skills and the way he portrays life in general.

At this period, Merit goes through a rough patch watching her family's indifference and feeling fed up of knowing (keeping) their secrets while they go through life as if nothing happens until she decides to shatter the happy family illusion that she's never been a part of before leaving them for good. But her plan fails, leaving behind several consequences which leads her thinking if what she'd done is right. And then, there is Sagan and his family because every time Merit asks about them he either clam up or change the subject.

This is my third Colleen Hoover book and I've to say this is poignant and the most powerful among the three I read. Long story short, this is a book about family, friendship, love and it also deals with a few heavy subject matters which I think is important and worth pondering about. For the third consecutive year, Colleen Hoover is a Goodreads Choice Award winner for Best Romance but in my opinion this is so much more than a romance. I loved how this book made me laugh, cry and be hopeful at the same time. Recommended.


© 2018 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
14 Responses
  1. Kay Says:

    I've not ever read a book by this author, but your review makes me think I should try one. What an odd family situation - mother in the basement - stepmother the nurse - etc. Thanks for sharing about it, Melody!


  2. The Bookworm Says:

    Glad you enjoyed this one so much, I have it on my must reads list. Great review Mel! I love moving reads too and I am a fan of this author.


  3. Iliana Says:

    I have some of her books on my TBR list and just haven't gotten around to reading them. I like that there's more than just the romance aspect to the story. Gives you something more to think about!


  4. jenclair Says:

    I haven't read this author, but I'm interested in the plot as you describe it.


  5. Lark Says:

    I've never read this author, either, but you make it sound like I should. Great review, Melody! :)


  6. This was a group read for one of my online groups, but I did not read it. I wish now I had. It sounds amazing, Melody. I haven't read anything by this author before, but it sounds like I should. Thanks for your great review, Melody!


  7. Jenny Says:

    The cover of this one alone makes me want to pick it up. Thanks for the review.


  8. Melody Says:

    Kay - The Voss was an odd family but what an interesting one. I found myself rooting for Merit and that she'll find happiness in her family once again. It was all an emotional read to me and I hope you'll give this book a try someday.


  9. Melody Says:

    Naida - Colleen Hoover always writes a moving love story with unforgettable characters and this one is no exceptional.


  10. Melody Says:

    Iliana - Yes, it's always good to have something else besides the romance aspect. I love fleshed out characters in my romance books and I think Colleen's books fit my bill. :)


  11. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Hope you'll give her books a try one day, Jenclair. :)


  12. Melody Says:

    Lark - I hope you'll read it at some point, Lark. :)


  13. Melody Says:

    Wendy - This was such a good book in my opinion and I hope you'll give it a try someday. Then again, I've heard that her other books are a great read, too.


  14. Melody Says:

    Jenny - That cover is sure eye-catching, isn't it?


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.