Melody
Zaffre | March 2018 | 432 pgs
Source: Library



Have you ever thought of what you'd do if your superior treats you unfairly and sexually harass you and no amount of complaints or actions would do anything to him because the person has status whom everyone respect and like and on top of it, he is smart enough not to have witnesses so it's your words against his. Sure, there's law and order but what if the police couldn't do anything because you've no evidence and again, it's your words against his. These issues are part of the core of this story and will make you think what you'd do if you were the protagonist. Most of all, is it even right or wrong to take matters into your own hands? 

Sarah Haywood works as a part-time lecturer in a University. She is separated from her husband and is working hard to raise their young son single-handedly. Aside from the financial issue, she is also worried about her job but what really troubles her is she is being sexually harassed by a top professor whom she works with. Prof. Alan Lovelock is an outstanding scholar and a gifted researcher and his works are often recognised not only in the academic world but also publicly since he also has his own BBC2 series. But what makes him untouchable is that he has landed one of the biggest grants given out to their English department and needless to say, he is like a priceless gem to the Uni. 

Sarah is at a loss, until a chance encounter led her in rescuing a girl who happens to be the daughter of a Russian mob leader. Volkov is a man who lives by his own rules and he believes all debts must be repaid. Thus, he offers Sarah a one-time deal but that offer expires in 72 hours and that once Sarah agrees to it there is no return. 29 seconds is how long Sarah took for that phone call and a deal is made. But is there a consequence and could one really run away from law and justice?

This book blown me away on many aspects. The plot, the characterisations, and of course the morality issue behind what seemed to be a controversial decision Sarah made to solve a sticky situation. Then, there is the issue about sexual harassment and the question if the victims should risk their job or swallow their pain. Reading about Sarah's experiences had both saddened and angered me because I felt her helplessness. And in a moment of anguish and despair, Sarah made a decision which chilled my heart because although I felt her pain, I wasn't sure if it was a right path and what about consequences? I raced through the book because it was that compelling; and of course I'd hoped for a closure but I won't say anything as I'll leave it to you to find out yourself. 


© 2018 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
12 Responses
  1. Jenny Says:

    Argh! Now I’m going to have to read this one. I’m so intrigued.


  2. Kay Says:

    Wow, Melody! You've just made me 'need' to read this book. Soon. Seriously, the issues are sad and heartbreaking and it is curious to think about what one might do if faced with all these aspects. Yes, I'll be seeking this one out.


  3. Lark Says:

    I'm with Jenny and Kay! Now I have to read this book just to find out what happens. Thanks! ;D


  4. Melody Says:

    Jenny - Hope you'll enjoy it!


  5. Melody Says:

    Kay - I'll be curious of your thoughts, Kay. Hope you'll enjoy this as much as I did.


  6. Melody Says:

    Lark - I'm glad I'm able to give you all a nudge into reading this book. :D


  7. jenclair Says:

    So timely. Feeling helpless when confronting this kind of situation often ends up with decisions that are even more frightening. It does sound like a compelling read!


  8. Sounds wonderful! Thanks for highlighting it. I love good suspense.


  9. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Indeed, Jenclair. It's a difficult situation and one could easily make mistakes under such circumstances.


  10. Melody Says:

    Rita - It was both an intense and a suspenseful read and I enjoyed it.


  11. Iliana Says:

    I hadn't heard about this one but definitely a timely topic isn't it? Would like to read this one!


  12. Melody Says:

    Iliana - Yes, it's indeed a timely topic. Hope you'll enjoy this book when you get to it, Iliana.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.