Melody

Penguin | November 2017 | 352 pgs
Source: Library



This is not a horror story. It doesn't even consist of any paranormal element so this is not the book for you if you are looking for something that goes bump in the night. However, if you're a fan of psychological suspense or domestic thriller, this book might interest you. 

Jack and Sydney are looking for a place to settle in. They've finally found one but didn't think they'd have a chance of getting it. The real estate agent claimed the owner didn't want to sell it in the first place, but he is ready to leave behind everything for the sake of love. By everything, he means all the stuff in the house as a whole package. Jack and Sydney didn't want to get their hopes up, but as luck would have it they got it. Sydney is elated but Jack isn't so sure. Doubts and fear set in as he thought he heard something (or someone?) in the middle of the night but couldn't find the source that rattles him. Until one day the police came and said a body was found at the back of their house. 

The House (also known as The New Neighbors for the US edition) is nothing I've expected in the beginning, be it the writing style or the story direction and I meant it in a good way. Written in a form of exchanges between Jack and Sydney, at times this style of writing read like a personal journal and their account to the police and since I don't think I've read something like this I found it to be refreshing. Jack and Sydney are both intriguing characters and honestly I think they made an odd couple considering of their clashing personality. They have secrets and hid some things from each other. This may classify as a domestic thriller but let me assure you this is not the same as what you may have come across of the same genre. This book also touches on domestic abuse issue and again the direction isn't what I'd anticipated. While the intensity didn't really keep me on edge, it was actually the sense of foreboding which had me captivated. The author has a new book titled The Liar's Room to be released in August 2018 (UK edition) and I'm looking forward to it.



© 2018 Melody's Reading Corner (https://mel-reading-corner.blogspot.sg/), All Rights Reserved. If you are reading this post from other site(s), please take note that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.
11 Responses
  1. Jenny Says:

    Sounds like an ok story. I’ll probably look for your thoughts on the author’s next book.


  2. Melody Says:

    Jenny - It was an OK story; just wished there was more intensity. Hopefully his next book will be better.


  3. Kay Says:

    I think your experience is one I've noticed others having with this book. And I've wondered about it. I'll likely try it at some point. I like the way you described how the story is told.


  4. jenclair Says:

    This one sounds interesting in several ways...although that sense of foreboding worries me even more than suspense! I put a letter in the mail to you a few days ago. :)


  5. Iliana Says:

    I've got this one on my Kindle. I haven't read anything by this author but I keep hearing good things. Glad it was a bit different from what you expected and yet still a good read!


  6. Lark Says:

    I'll have to give this author a try, but I think I might hold out for The Liar's Room. That one sounds a little more interesting to me. :)


  7. Melody Says:

    Kay - It was different when the writing style is concerned. Not my favourite but I don't dislike it either.


  8. Melody Says:

    Jenclair - Will let you know once your letter arrived! :)


  9. Melody Says:

    Iliana - This is the first time I read by this author and the experience was good enough for me to look forward to his next book.


  10. Melody Says:

    Lark - Yes, I'm intrigued with that one, too. :)


  11. That sense of foreboding carries a lot of tension in and of itself sometimes, doesn't it? I haven't heard too much about this book, although I have heard of it. I think I might like it too.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you.